Minato

The Plague and how to cure it. (Post-mortem post for issues)

Posted (edited)

"Wait who the heck are you? Y u doin dis?"

I've been a dev for 3 (or 4? don't remember) servers in the past (from 2010 to 2012). Mostly I handled all issues and decisions alone (even if I'm not the financer, I stronghand them!), all my servers had no problem getting content updates, but sadly, they all closed because of me being inactive in marketing to all those servers (and all of them are high rate stuff so....). So I know how servers die because I see it happen before my eyes. Also played a lot of servers (mid rates, high rates) that had a lot of population but somehow didn't survive. I regularly consult (when I was a dev) rAthena forums to check new things and get some scripts and customize it for my server, and created them from ground up when needed to. Up to you if you'll believe me or not. 

Starting off with a run-down of the issues that plagued our society.. I mean our server:

1. Communication
  2. Bugs, bugs, and bugs!
  3. Content
  4. Us being a private server.
  5. r0 Cares!
  6. Staff?

Communication?

- This thing right here is somewhat in the 20% range of the issue, there was no some sort of transparency about when things are going to be fixed, when things are going to be added and whatnot, stuff like that. Not even a post regarding why a content was delayed/out from a promised patch (looking at magma 3), a post regarding a severely downed population, a post regarding blah blah. We know that the admins have life outside those 'commits' of codes, but the community doesn't wanna be kept in the dark (for the early life of a server anyway, when it becomes stable enough, this is not that needed daily). If the player-base didn't even 'revolted' on discord, do we even get to know the things you planned? Not sure. A simple post regarding the 'WHYs?' would suffice and I think the community would not be so mad about it. And of course, the official statement of what the future holds. We'll be expecting this!

Bugs, bugs, and bugs?

- There were a lot of this from what I saw (from cooldowns of skills and falcon damage that requires 'src' modification, and down right to item effects on item_db.txt). A lot of play testers would squash them bugs, and I do commend your plans to have the recruitment phase include testers on the test server. Just follow-through on that and these would be gone! (about 20% too of the issues, now at 40% combined)

Content?

- Right. 1 map, 1 word, 1 number. M-A-G-M-A 3, what happened to this? A lot of us were looking forward to it, besides the option revamp that came about a month ago. For me this is the start of the fall, a lot of your player-base saw this as one of the reason they'd leave (and so they did, but from all of these combined). Instances are not rewarding enough (will follow all this up on the 4th point), a lot of item content were locked behind that +9 upgrade, even though options dropped are better than the 1st month, no real end-game was found. Plus, being a little blind on future content + the 1st point above made it a lot worse. Battlegrounds, what are you planning to do about it? Malangdo, how will the enchants affect the items and whatnot? At the most, to cure this, follow through the promised schedule of content releases, if not followed, 1st point above would be followed, define the 'WHY?'. (30% of the all the issues, now at 70% combined)

Us being a private server? Hell yes!

- Coming from the unrewarding instances stuff, the drops from these instances should be buffed by 200% (x3) at a minimum, even with a good population, it'd still take a lot of time to get "Best-in-slot" items, so better not shy away from giving away these badly needed item requirements (plus they'd break anyway at plus 1, so... you get my point). Lower requirements for those lovely CT mid gears, louyang/amatsu HGs, and other endgame stuff (maybe not for expedition stuff since instance drops buffed would balance things out), we're a private server, not a kRO:Zero that's being handled by Gravity. Custom stuff to improve some Q-o-L of players (storage at adventurer's inn? custom achievements that can be used for newbie and old-timer satisfaction? more ways to gain event coins and costumes??? Maybe!!!) But then, custom stuff should be threaded lightly, and not ruin that 'Core Zero Mechanics'. So use at own discretion with your community agreeing! (15% of all the issues, now at 85%)

r0 Cares? We do! Really!

- This is not about the donation to charity stuff, but rather, how the player-base perceives that the administration cares for it community, one example is this is the first server that no in-game GM, did not even do some sort of event (GM initiated event in game), I've been here in the 5th week, so do correct me if I missed it on the first few weeks, but there wasn't any from that 5th week onward (not counting that NPC event where we get the costume stuff). We knew that the 2 GMs are part of the core developers, and not having a GM specializing in events do affect the community somehow. I hope you do some sort of this thing or recruit one that specifically handles this type of task. And also back from point 1, having some sort of transparency means that you somehow care about your community of players. (10% of the issue, now at 95%)

Staff? Staff...

- This is not that big of an issue, but it's here since it seems that all content/things to be done for Zero can't be handled by 2 Core Developers, glad that you'd be adding 1 of 2 planned. I hope they'd pass, and I also hope that if the number of working devs here doesn't make you lazy enough to think that they're here, they can handle it themselves, 4 people is better than 2 out of 4 working. So that's that. (that's 5%, currently at 100%)

• Wild Card Stuff • (will be adding stuff here as an idea struck me)

- We do understand that sometimes, no matter how well you keep things on a timely manner, a system/schedule would still fail no matter what, there's not a single system in the world that has a 99% up time. The same goes with the stuff going on with the server, be it the updates, unexpected server crash, unexpected delays of updates. But when that happens, a compensation to your player-base would be well received, and believe me, they'd thank you for that and be more understanding with shortcomings (be it as small as 10 event coins, or as big as pieces of bubble gums/field manuals!).

These here are some things I observed, I'm sure that there are some things I missed but do point it out on the posts below! Thanks for reading this!

TL:DR? nah, read it all if you care enough for the server. 🙂

PS: We're somewhat excited for the things to change, atleast I am, please don't break out hearts again for the last time. I'm thinking this would be the last time before the 90% of the community totally gives up on this.

PSS: How the heck do we put a signature on your posts again? I mean the one with the picture below every post? Anyone? Please let me know. Thanks!

@Hades @Stroheim

Edited by Minato
added wild card stuff
  • Like 3