Sign in to follow this  
Tiburcio

Floating Rates, more players online, more EXP/Drops

Floating rates, more players online, more EXP/Drops.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Floating rates, more player online, more EXP/Drops

• Yes
    • No

• Idea description:
    • Floating rates to incentive players to play more and heat up the game community
  • Why is it good?
    • This will help server gather a higher population since rates will increase based on ammount of players
  • How urgent is this rate 1-10:
  • Will it affect our economy?
    • Yes, since it probably increase the supply reducing price of most previously "rare" items
  • Will it affect any of our core systems?
    • Yes, the EXP and Drop rate ones.
  • If we deny it, what might happen?
    • Nothing, server will just be fine.
  • If we accept it, who does it benefit the most?
    • Everyone who want to want to get benefit of leveling faster and get better items without having to farm for months
  • If we accept it, what can possibly go wrong?
    • When there are less players online (for several reasons, timezones for instance), exp and drops will reduce and further cut the incentive of playing, creating the feeling of : "I dont want to play this because no one is playing anymore and exp bonus is almost zero" or "ew, bonus exp is crap, -> open chat -> 'BRB when more players are online' ".
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maedren said:

This is much more reasonable. The only thing I don't like is the increase in drops. so, i keep my vote for an option without drop increases.

+1, also not a fan of the drop rate increase.

Agree with the previous two: exp increase are fine, but drop rate increases a bad idea. This method rather then the previously suggested inverse rates will pull more people to the server during peak times. More people online, more people playing together, more groups, more stable economy. The downside in the meantime is when server population is low, feels worse to play, especially the case during non peak hours the solution, I believe, is the adjustment to the kRO:z current exp table. Rates don’t need to be 2x higher when exp needed will be 1/3 of what it is now.

Edited by Lukien
  • Like 2

I do like the exp idea, not for the drop rates, this will end up in people only farming on floating rates season and mostly ignore the rest. This can act as a zeny sink and can help new people catch up to the rest of the community at least with levels

this seems to be the wrong direction. in most games, they get harder for having more players. i sure as hell don't want a harder Ro, so ill just say no.

if anything, i think exp should go up for having lower population, not raising for higher population, keeping the cap at where it is. this will encourage activity when the server is slow because there is an incentive to play when no one is on, it will make people want to try to hit the server outside peak times, i think it will eventually end up balancing log times, and most of the time there will be no bonus, but the fact that there is a chance will encourage players to play any time of day. and on this subject, i refer only to EXP, not drop rates. i don't want to change that at all.  the more people try to play the server during slow times, the lower the bonus, and the server rebalances itself. its like a little thank you for playing RO during slow times. and will balance server activity hours. i dont think this will happen, but it makes more sense to me.

i cant even begin to explain how bad of an idea this is.

"hey are you logging on? ill log on too !"    "hey is everyone getting on? ill get on!! EXP EXP"

"party disbanding? you going? ill go too."   "is everyone leaving? i guess ill go too."

"hey im hunting a card and everyones leaving.. now theres no point.. logging off"

"not enough people are on... why should i even bother to log in?"

Edited by vashuyasha
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vashuyasha said:

this seems to be the wrong direction. in most games, they get harder for having more players. i sure as hell don't want a harder Ro, so ill just say no.

if anything, i think exp should go up for having lower population, not raising for higher population, keeping the cap at where it is. this will encourage activity when the server is slow because there is an incentive to play when no one is on, it will make people want to try to hit the server outside peak times, i think it will eventually end up balancing log times, and most of the time there will be no bonus, but the fact that there is a chance will encourage players to play any time of day. and on this subject, i refer only to EXP, not drop rates. i don't want to change that at all.  the more people try to play the server during slow times, the lower the bonus, and the server rebalances itself. its like a little thank you for playing RO during slow times. and will balance server activity hours. i dont think this will happen, but it makes more sense to me.

i cant even begin to explain how bad of an idea this is.

"hey are you logging on? ill log on too !"    "hey is everyone getting on? ill get on!! EXP EXP"

"party disbanding? you going? ill go too."   "is everyone leaving? i guess ill go too."

"hey im hunting a card and everyones leaving.. now theres no point.. logging off"

"not enough people are on... why should i even bother to log in?"

I've suggested another topic where rates should be higher of fewer players are online. Got a massive rejection. Why? Well, people wants to only benefit for themselves, if more players log in at weekends and they play more on weekends, they dont want to lose their benefit. Its like

"not my problem,just want to log in in a saturday night which is the day I can play and get benefit from bonus exp. If server drops to 10 ~ 20 poupulation during the week, not my problem, I just play on saturdays."

This suggestion is more like a social experiment to see if people think in the good of the server, or just themselves. I guess we can get the result here.

I also voted NO for this suggestion.

image.thumb.png.1356f7eea63887d47364259d862bb758.png

In my mind this is a terrible suggestion. For people like me, who actually farm for stuff for quite long periods of time, it would be lame that the ”weekend” people could log in and spend 1/5th of the time and effort and still get the same reward. That would motivate me enough to play only during active hours. I voted No

The issue is that no matter which way you go, floating rates depending on online players are a bad idea.

If you go higher rates for less players, people will only want to log on with low pop to get the bonus, thus never reaching a high pop (which is what we want).

If you go higher rates for more players, you get the weird paradox of people only wanting to log on when it's high pop to get the bonus but not reaching high pop because everyone has the same mindset.

Personally I don't think we need floating rates at all, but if people really do want it, there are better ways of doing it (e.g. unlocking a 24h floating rates event through zeny donated by everyone on the server, thus also creating a zeny sink).

Hi 😄 Nice suggestion 😉 

But I must point out about the drop rates, I'm very sensitive in regards of the drop rates and how to maintain the balance in the market.

Most likely, I won't push any "drop rate increases".

I think that the rates should be revised, as it's too hardcore for most people who still plays RO (most have work and families).

However I feel like it being something that varies depending on online players(either up or down) do creates too many "feel bad" moments.

Edited by D.u.n.g.e.o.n